A REGIONAL TRAVELING ART EXHIBIT CELEBRATING LIFE ON THE COAST
A curated exhibit with submissions spanning from Prince of Wales to Dry Bay, providing increased exposure for Southeast Alaskan artists, and a region-wide celebration of coastal living for Southeast Alaska communities.
Portable Southeast is a new and exciting opportunity for artists and art venues in Southeast Alaska! This curated exhibit program will provide increased exposure for Southeast Alaskan artists, and a region-wide celebration of coastal living for Southeast Alaska communities. Artists currently living in any Southeast Alaska community may submit up to three pieces in any medium. A group of curators from each region of Southeast Alaska will review and admit pieces. Selected pieces will tour the region, exhibiting in 6 communities over 6 months in 2023. All pieces will be carefully labeled, packaged, and shipped to exhibit venues at no charge to the Artist or Exhibitor.
Portable Southeast Traveling Art Exhibit
What is Portable Southeast?
Portable Southeast is a traveling gallery exhibit that will begin during the 2022-2023 JAHC Gallery Season. All works should be inspired by life in coastal communities, small and/or packable, all media are eligible. The exhibit will be curated by a group of people who represent various communities across Southeast Alaska.
The goal is to coordinate a body of work by Southeast Alaskan artists that would tour the region from October 2022-June 2023. The mission of this project is to provide exhibit opportunities for artists outside of their hometown, to build communication & networking opportunities among both large and small Southeast Alaska communities, and to create new partnerships between arts agencies and museums in Southeast Alaska.
How does work get selected for this exhibit?
Three regional curators will review entries and rate them. A number of pieces [to be determined] will be selected for the exhibition. The review process will be entirely digital, at no cost. Curators will represent each of the following regions:
- Northern Southeast: Yakutat, Haines, Skagway, Juneau, Gustavus, Hoonah, Pelican.
- Middle Southeast: Sitka, Angoon, Petersburg, Kake, Tenakee.
- Southern Southeast: Ketchikan, Craig, Wrangell, Hydaburg, Klawock, Metlakatla.
Each region will have two communities represented in the exhibition schedule.
What are the requirements to apply?
Artists may submit up to three works for consideration and all media are eligible. Work submitted must have been completed in the last three years. Due to the highly transitory nature of this exhibit, all entries must fit in a USPS Priority Mail Box (up to 14 x 12" in dimensions). Other requirements and instructions (such as shipping, etc.) can be found in the application form below.
Who is eligible to apply?
Artists currently residing in any community in Southeast Alaska.
When is the deadline to apply?
Applications are now closed.
Is there an application fee?
There is no fee to apply.
Exhibition Venues and Curators
We need your help! We are soliciting both Exhibition Venues and Curators. We’d like to fill 6 spots in each category:
Exhibition Venues (“Exhibitors”):
A gallery or public exhibition space (museum, cafe, community arts center, etc) in your community.
- 2 Exhibitors in Southern Southeast Alaska (Metlakatla, Ketchikan, Craig, Klawock, Thorne Bay, Wrangell)
- 2 Exhibitors in Middle Southeast Alaska (Kake, Petersburg, Sitka, Angoon)
- 2 Exhibitors in Northern Southeast Alaska (Tenakee, Pelican, Hoonah, Elfin Cove, Juneau, Gustavus, Haines, Skagway, Yakutat)
- Exhibitors receive a $400 stipend to assist with staff & logistical costs.
An Artist or Community Partner representing their hometown, reviewing submissions and work with the curation team to accept pieces into Portable Southeast. Curators will review all submissions online, and will be compensated for their time and experience.
- 2 Curators in Southern Southeast Alaska (Metlakatla, Ketchikan, Craig, Klawock, Thorne Bay, Wrangell)
- 2 Curators in Middle Southeast Alaska (Kake, Petersburg, Sitka, Angoon)
- 2 Curators in Northern Southeast Alaska (Tenakee, Pelican, Hoonah, Elfin Cove, Juneau, Gustavus, Haines, Skagway, Yakutat)
- Curators receive a $400 stipend for their time and expertise.
Are you interested in being an Exhibitor, Curator, or would like to nominate a venue or person for either role? Please email email@example.com for more thorough project details (schedule, press package, supplies list & logistics, etc).