Scholarships & Grants
Juneau Arts and Humanities Council invests in the community through financial support and assistance to students, individual artists, and arts organizations.
Note: We will need to delay these programs at the moment but plan to resume auditions and awards later this year.
Available grants and scholarships:
ALL DEADLINES EXTENDED TO MAY 15
- Advanced Arts Achievement Award (Due first Monday in April)
- Fine Arts Scholarships (Due first Monday in April)
- Catalyst Grants (Due Quarterly on the 15th of Jan, April, July, Oct)
- Individual Artist Grants (Due first Monday in April) REVISED DEADLINE: MAY 29 5 PM
Fine Arts Scholarships
Eligibility: Students entering grades 7-12.
Subject: Creative Writing, Dance, Drama, Music (instrumental and voice), Technical Theatre, and Visual Arts.
Award Amount: $250-500
Award Dates: June 1, 2020 – June 1 2021.
Application Due: 5:00 PM First Monday in April
The Fine Arts Scholarship is available for middle and high school students interested in an area of writing, visual and performing arts. Scholarships are merit-based, and students must audition or interview. Additional funding is provided through the Stephen McPhetres Music Scholarship fund and the Bethany Bereman Dance Scholarship Fund. Applications for these scholarships are run through the normal Fine Arts Scholarship process. Scroll down to apply.
Note that the Council provides funding for scholarships for Juneau student to attend Sitka Fine Arts Camp. Applications for those scholarships are made directly to the Camp, and the Arts Council funds are awarded to SFAC to disperse to Juneau students. Apply here for Sitka Fine Arts.
Advanced Arts Achievement Awards
Eligibility: Graduating high school seniors and college students up to age 25
Subject: Visual and Performing Arts
Award Amount: $500-1000
Award Dates: July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021
Application Due: 5:00 PM April 1, 2020
The Advanced Art Achievement Award is intended to assist exceptional young artists continue their artist studies. Applicants will be notified of the audition schedule at the time they submit their application. Use the Fine Arts Scholarship application form.
Note: the JAHC, through generous support from Behrends Mechanical, offers the Mac Behrends Scholarship in Creative Writing for a student enrolled in the University of Alaska Southeast Creative Writing program.. Application is made through submission to Tidal Echoes and the selection is made by the editorial board. For more information contact Emily Wall (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Eligibility: individuals and organizations
Subject: all creative projects
Award Amount: maximum $500
Award Dates/Due: Sept 15 / Dec 15 / Mar 15 / Jun 15 (quarterly)
Catalyst Grants are designed to help support new or emerging projects and opportunities that are not included in other grant applications. Catalyst Grants assist individual artists and/or arts organization with projects of artistic and/or cultural merit whose primary purpose is to encourage creative expression, stimulate understanding and appreciation of the arts and humanities, and to encourage community support of the arts and humanities. Awards are made until the budget is depleted for the year.
To qualify for the Catalyst Grant, the applicant must:
- show how the proposed project will benefit the general community.
- have been a Juneau resident or resident of South East Alaska for the past year, currently residing here; and planning to reside in Juneau for the duration of the grant project. Preferential consideration will be given to Juneau-based proposals.
- not have received a New Opportunities or Catalyst Grant from JAHC in the previous grant cycle, and have received fewer than four of them in total.
- fulfilled all reporting requirements for any prior grant award.
GRANT REVIEW CRITERIA
Catalyst Grants are awarded based on the following criteria, listed in order of importance:
- Compatibility with JAHC's core values: Community, Education, Enrichment and Creativity;
- Artistic quality of the project.
- Project represents a new initiative or project not funded through any other JAHC or CBJ funding sources.
- Benefit and impact of the proposed project for the larger community;
- Ability of applicant to manage arts /humanities programs, projects, events, based on past experience;
- Likelihood of project succeeding within proposed budget;
- Prior compliance with JAHC grant policies,
- Applicant’s financial need according to submitted budget and rationale;
- The application is complete and the applicant meets the general eligibility requirements.
JAHC GRANT POLICIES
Funds are for programs or projects that begin after the award date and must expended by the grantee within the project dates unless JAHC approves an extension before the project's ending date. Projects may not be funded retroactively.
Projects may not already be receiving funding from CBJ.
Funds may be used for artistic and professional development of an individual, or for the development of new programs that expand an organization’s contribution to the community. This grant does not fund endowments, building campaigns, capital improvements, fund-raising, marketing, or administrative costs.
Requests for airfare may not exceed discounted advance purchase rates.
JAHC will not award grant funds to support religious projects.
JAHC reserves the right to conduct periodic reviews and audits of grant projects to determine if the grantee is spending money appropriately and is complying with grant guidelines and policies.
Applicants may submit one application in a grant cycle, and may only receive an award every other grant cycle.
Awards may fully meet but not exceed the amount requested in the application.
Grantees must have a completed grant evaluation on file for any prior awards to be considered for a new grant award.
All promotional and printed materials about the project, including publications and books, must include this notice: This project is funded in part by the Juneau Arts and Humanities Council and the City and Borough of Juneau. Copies of all promotional material must be submitted to JAHC.
Individual Artist Grants
Subject: Visual and Performing Arts
Award Amount: maximum $1000
Award Dates: July 1, 2020– June 30 2021
Application Due: April 1 at 5 pm. REVISED: MAY 29, 5 PM
The Individual Artist Grant is intended to assist experienced artists of exceptional talent to produce original works of art or career advancement. Artists in any creative discipline may apply. Grants may not exceed $1000, and applicants will be scheduled for a 15-minute interview with grant adjudicators at a time to be announced.
To qualify for an Individual Artists Grant, the applicant must:
- submit original work samples that demonstrate exceptional talent and professional commitment;
- have been a Juneau resident for the past year, currently residing here; and planning to reside in Juneau for the duration of the grant project;
- not have received an Individual Artist Grant from JAHC in the previous grant cycle;
- fulfilled all reporting requirements for any prior grant award
Projects may not already be receiving funding from CBJ under another grant or budget program.Funds may be used for the artistic and professional development of the artist, or for the development of a work of art by the applicant
CBJ Major Grants
Eligibility: local non-profits
Subject: community art encouragement and support
Award Amount: variable
Award Dates: July 1, 2020 – June 30 2021
Application Due: 5:00 PM April 30 2020 DELAYED MAY 15
The Juneau Arts and Humanities Council administers the City’s funding for the arts. These funds are intended to provide operating support for local arts non-profit organizations whose work helps to cultivate vibrant arts and cultural opportunities., helping to build a strong, prosperous community where creativity and innovation thrive. Funding may be for a specific project or for season support. Applicants present their application at a 10-minute interview with the 7-member Review Panel, which then sends recommended funding levels to JAHC for approval and disbursement.
Want to donate to the Arts Council scholarship funds?
Choose below, and thank you!