Welcome to the Juneau Arts & Humanities Council Public Art Walk!
Stroll through the downtown area and learn about all the wonderful pieces of public art throughout the area.
Public Art Updates as of 2022 (not listed on the below map):
- Elizabeth Peratrovich Mural, Mixed media (Graphic art & painting) by Crystal Worl, 2021. Located at the Downtown Juneau Library Building, Juneau AK.
- Sealaska Heritage Arts Campus in Juneau at Front and Seward Streets, 2022.
- Metal Medallion by Crystal Worl, located Downtown Juneau on Front St. & Seward St. 2018.
- Aquileans, 10 stainless steel LED-illuminated sculptures by Cliff Garten, 2017. Located at the Juneau cruise port and Seawalk.
- Robert Mills’ metal sculpture Yaadachóon was installed along the seawalk at Overstreet Park in 2021.
- Tahku, the Alaska Whale Sculpture, by R.T. Wallen, 2016. Located at Overstreet Park.
- Bronze sculptures by Tsimshian native artist David R. Boxley and Tlingit Native artist Stephen Jackson, 2018. Located in front of the Walter Soboleff Building on Front Street.
- Juneau International Airport features public art works by artists Alison Bremner, Rachael Juzeler, Robert Mills, and Crystal Worl. 2022.
- All About Town by Alison Bremner: Tlingit formline hand-painted murals depict well-known Juneau figures, including Romeo, Patsy Ann, helicopters, airplanes, the tram, whale sculpture, ‘Juneau sneaker’ and Tlingit wildlife figures.
- Herring Catch by Rachael Juzeler: In the multi‐media hanging sculpture, each herring is hand-cut from multilayers of reclaimed glass that are printed, kiln-fired and snap-hooked to a stainless steel net with reclaimed fishing lines and glass floats.
- Exit to Enter by Robert Mills: Carved sculpture panels connect the Tlingit spirit to the Tlingit Land (Lingit Aani). The bronze casted mask and wood tongue invite travelers to the region, while the small cedar masks welcomes them back. Red Cedar, Italian poplar, horse hair, bronze and Forton are used in this creation.
- Changing Over Tide by Crystal Worl: Customized Tlingit formline portray the regional abundance of life from the sea, land, and sky. Raven (“Trickster”) releases purified raindrops to enrich the land and water; light to the darkness. The artwork is applied to a film fused between two resin layers. (Three more panels will be installed at the bottom of the stairs).
- Juneau distance map made of nails hammered into the dock near Marine Park. 50x40 ft. outline of the 50 states in 50,000 nails, with Juneau at its center. Community Art project, 2005.
Below is a list of every stop on the map including more in-depth information on each stop if applicable.
1. Visitor’s Information Booth, Marine Way next to Marine Park
2. Marine Parking Garage/Library, 292 Marine Way, Elevator at the Marine Way entrance, stairs at the Gastineau Channel entrance (Public Restrooms available Mon-Thurs 11am – 8pm, Fri 1pm – 5pm, weekends 12pm – 5pm)
1. Ancon, Dan DeRoux, 1986, mural, facing Gastineau Channel
▪ Painted by local artist Dan DeRoux, 1986. This wall mural depicts a photograph of turn-of-the-century passengers arriving by the steamship Ancon. The faces are those of Juneau pioneer descendants.
2. Transfiguration, Bruce Elliot, 1990, stained glass window, Library Floor
▪ Designed by Bruce Elliot, 1990. This window shows salmon changing into Tlingit figures.
3. Children’s Storybook Characters, Dan DeRoux, mural, Library Floor
▪ Mural of popular children’s fairy tales, stories, and nursery rhymes, including Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Jack & the Beanstalk, Whinny the Pooh, Charlotte’s Web, Alice in Wonderland, Jack Horner, Simple Simon, Babar, Rip Van Winkle, the Wizard of Oz, Raggedy Ann, Little Red Riding Hood, Peter Pan, Stuart Little, the Pied Piper of Hamelin, the Little Engine that Could, Song of the South, Pinocchio, Wind in the Willows, Peter Rabbit, the Cat in the Hat, Humpty Dumpty, Mary Poppins, the Three Little Pigs, and more.
4. Traditional and Modern Ways of Fishing, Ray Peck, metal wall sculpture, facing Marine Way
▪ Created by local Tlingit artist Ray Peck. This metal wall sculpture shows the transition from traditional to modern fishing methods
5. Bear Panel, Steve Brown, 1986, red cedar, Library Floor (behind front desk)
▪ A gift to the Juneau Douglas Library in memory of Tim Volwiler.
3. Patsy Ann, Anna Burke Harris, 1992, bronze sculpture, Marine Park on dock
◦ Designed by Anna Burke Harris, 1992. This bronze sculpture commemorates Patsy Ann, the beloved English bull terrier well known for greeting ships arriving in Juneau during the 1930s-40s.
4. Hard Rock Miner, Ed Way, 1980, bronze sculpture, Marine Park
◦ Sculpted by local Juneau artist Ed Way, 1980. This cast bronze sculpture depicts hard rock gold miners working underground using a double jack drill.
▪ – Notable mural in the Taqueria by Giselle Stone, 245 Marine Way –
5. Rico Lanaat’ Worl, Christy NaMee Eriksen, and Crystal Kaakeeyáa Worl Demientieff Studio, Open by appt, email@example.com, 213 Ferry Way
◦ A shared studio space. Rico Lanaat’ Worl (Tlingit/Athabascan) lives in Juneau. His art is a focused study in learning Formline design, the traditional design style of the Indigenous Northwest coast. View his personal portfolio/website at www.ricoworl.com.
◦ Christy NaMee Eriksen lives in Juneau. Her focus is original screen printed designs. View her website at http://www.kindredpost.com.
◦ Crystal Kaakeeyáa Worl Demientieff (Tlingit/Athabascan) lives in Juneau. She experiments with kiln-cast glass, printmaking, painting, and silversmithing. She recently began working with fish skin, seal gut-skin, and furs. Crystal studies traditional Tlingit formline design and Athabascan beadwork patterns. Her work explores the relationships and bonds between her people, the land, and the animals. See more of Crystal’s work on her website: www.crystalworl.com .
6. Haa Shagoon Studio/Gallery, featuring artists Ray Peck, John Evans, Rudy Isturis, and Don Morgan, Open daily 8am -8pm, (907) 209-1501, 213 Ferry Way
◦ A shared studio/gallery space where you can see Native artists carving, painting, drawing, and more.
7. David Woodie Studio, Open by appt, Facebook.com/davidjwoodie, 174 S. Franklin St. room 212
◦ David Woodie lives in Juneau. In the late eighties he moved from Prince of Wales Island to Juneau, began commercial fishing in the summers and returned to doing art in the winters. In 1996 he began exhibiting, and since then has been working full time at painting and teaching, and has shown work throughout Alaska. See more of David’s work on his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/davidjwoodie
8. Abraham Wiley and Monica Daugherty Studio, Open by appt, firstname.lastname@example.org, 174 S. Franklin St. room 210
◦ A shared studio space. Abraham is from and currently lives in Juneau. He studied ceramics sculpture, painting and drawing at Ohio State University. He has exhibited his work in Alaska, Oregon, and Ohio. He works in oil and focuses on surreal and abstract illustrative imagery fed by the subconscious.
◦ Monica is from and currently lives in Juneau. She primarily works in oil and focuses on interiors and more recently landscapes.
▪ – Notable mural in The Triangle Club Bar by Iver, 251 Front St. –
9. Raven and Beaver, Eagle and Thunderbird, and Strongman, Tlingit carver Ray Peck, 1991, totems, 151 S. Franklin St.
◦ Carved by Tlingit carver Ray Peck in 1991.
10. Trickster Studio/Gallery, featuring artists Rico Lanaat’ Worl, Autumn Shotridge, and Crystal Kaakeeyáa Worl Demientieff, Open daily 10am-6pm, (907) 780-4000, 224 Front St.
◦ A shared studio/gallery space where you can see Native artists as they create and promote innovative indigenous design in a variety of mediums.
11. Walter Soboleff Building, 105 S. Seward St., Open 9am-8pm
a. Greatest Echo, Haida artist Robert Davidson, 2015, metal panels (building front)
▪ The 40-foot panels on the exterior of the building were designed by the internationally celebrated Haida artist Robert Davidson. The design represents a supernatural being called the “Greatest Echo” — a theme chosen by Davidson because Dr. Walter Soboleff, the building’s namesake, echoed the past to bring it to the present.
b. Am’ala: Wil Mangaa da Ha’lidzogat (Am’ala: He Who Holds up the Earth), Tsimshian artist David A. Boxley, 2015, carved and painted cedar clan house front (inside foyer)
▪ The enormous house front made by the Tsimshian master artist David A. Boxley. At almost 40 feet wide by 15 feet high, it is thought to be the largest, carved-and-painted Tsimshian house front in the world. The center of the house front tells the Tsimshian story Am’ala: Wil Mangaa da Ha’lidzogat (Am’ala: He Who Holds up the Earth). A tiny door in the belly of Am’ala leads into the clan house, formally named Shuká Hít (Ancestors’ House) in a ceremony.
c. Clan House Screen and Raven/Eagle House Posts, Tlingit artist Preston Singletary, 2015, sandblasted glass (inside clan house; admission fees apply. Free admission during First Friday Art Walks)
▪ Inside Shuká Hít, you will see the largest glass screen in the world, made by the Tlingit glass artist Preston Singletary. Preston is internationally celebrated for his innovative creations, which use a medium not known in pre-contact times. His piece measures 17 feet wide and 12 feet high at its peak and is rendered in carved, amber-and-black glass.
d. Glass Awnings, Steve Brown and Robert Davidson, 2015, glass formline design, (building front)
▪ The glass awnings were engraved with formline designs made by Steve Brown, a formline expert and author who serves on the institute’s Native Artist Committee. The term “formline design” describes the unique shapes that give Northwest Coast art its distinctive look. When illuminated from above, the designs in the awnings are cast onto the building and sidewalks.
12. Precipitation, Dan DeRoux, 2010, mixed media, Parking Garage on Main St.
◦ This mural is Keim paint on cement, the cityscape is acrylic on aluminum with fiber optic lights, and the tumbling icon boxes are digital powdercoating.
▪ – Notable mural on Main & 2nd St. “Before I Die” by Daniel Glidmann –
13. Sketch Studio, MK MacNaughton, Open 10am-5pm or by appt., (907) 957-2061, 122 Front Street – Look for the door in the back of the parking lot behind Kenny’s Wok & Teriyaki on the corner of Front & Main Street.
◦ MK MacNaughton lives in Juneau. In addition to landscape paintings and charcoal drawings, MK makes giclee prints, cards, ornaments, and hand-painted t-shirts at her studio. Art catering classes are available by appointment (more info about art catering on website). See more of MK’s work on her website: www.mkmacnaughton.com
▪ – Notable mural in The Rookery “Perpetually Waiting for the Return of Wonder” by Arnie Weimer, 111 Seward St. –
14. Elise Tomlinson Studio, Open weekends and by appt., email@example.com, 119 Seward Street, 2nd floor of Valentine Building, Suite 9 – Entrance is next to Lisa Davidson Boutique
◦ Elise Tomlinson lives in Juneau. She creates colorful, stylized oil paintings of Southeast Alaska places, plants, and wildflowers. Her work often includes women enjoying solo activities (such as reading or playing guitar) in the wild. She uses her own photography as a source for her paintings. See more of Elise’s work on her website: http://www.elisetomlinson.com
15. From the Stream of History, Arnie Weimer, 2012, mural, 2nd & Gastineau
◦ This mural was done over a five month period “working day and night” in 2010. Using acrylic on cement, the artist painted the work largely from a twelve foot wheeled scaffold which was constructed to roll on tracks back and forth in front of the wall. The wall is twenty feet high and ninety some feet long. The three sections in the work depict the Native, mining, and fishing aspects of Juneau’s history. All the people depicted were Juneau residents at the time the painting was done.
16. The Canvas Studio/Gallery, featuring various artists, Open daily 10am-7pm, (907) 586-1750, 223 Seward St, Juneau, AK 99801
◦ The Canvas was founded in 2006 as the community outreach program for REACH, an independent non-profit organization serving people who experience disabilities since 1970. The Canvas continues to provide community engagement services. Through the generous support and open mindedness of our community, REACH has been able to serve people with disabilities in a more engaging and inclusive way. Daily interactions between artists with disabilities and other community artists provide invaluable experiences in education for both. See more from The Canvas artists on their website: http://www.canvasarts.org
17. Growing Peace, Jim Fowler, 2015, mural, Bishop Michael H. Kenny Memorial Peace Park, 3rd & Seward
◦ The Bishop Michael H. Kenny Peace Park was dedicated by the City and Borough of Juneau on September 21, 2012. The dedication culminated an effort begun in 2009, when both the Juneau Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee, as well as the Juneau City and Borough Assembly decided to name the park after Juneau’s late, beloved, bishop. The sculpture by Jim Fowler stands 8 – 10 feet tall and is placed at the rear of the park as a colorful and joyful call to peace for Alaskans and visitors of all ages.
18. Windfall Fisherman, R.T. Wallen, bronze sculpture, outside Courthouse on Main St. near the corner of 3rd St.
◦ Cast bronze sculpture created for the 25th Anniversary of Alaska Statehood and donated by artist R.T. Wallen depicts a life-size model of an Alaskan brown bear.
▪ – Notable mural outside the Silverbow Inn by John Kifer, 120 2nd St. –
19. Juneau Douglas City Museum, 114 W 4th St. (Public Restrooms available weekdays 9am – 6pm, Saturdays 10am – 4:30pm)
a. Harnessing the Atom, Tlingit carver Amos Wallace, 1967, totem
▪ Carved by Tlingit artist Amos Wallace from Juneau in 1967. Figures from the top: Eagle: representing the United States, Russian Priest: representing Russian influence, Man on top of the Sun: Tlingit legend of the origin of the universe and the harnessing of energy, Raven: Tlingit creator of all things in the universe, supporting all other figures.
b. Four Story, Haida carver John Wallace, 1940, totem
▪ Carved by Haida carver John Wallace in 1940. From the top down: frog, man, Raven, monster frog, Bear Chief, fish trap, black bear, shaman holding a land otter, black oystercatcher rattle, octopus, halibut, halibut hook baited with supernatural mouse and its spirit. This pole tells four stories. Donated by Juneau Rotary Club.
20. Friendship Totem, Tlingit carver Leo Jacobs, mid-1960’s, totem, Courthouse Lobby between Main & Seward St.
◦ Carved by Tlingit artist Leo Jacobs of Haines in the mid-1960s, this pole is a large version of a miniature totem presented to Steve Sheldon, U.S. Marshal of Haines in 1927. The miniature pole, in the Sheldon Museum in Haines, is attributed to James Watson of Klawock. The name Friendship Pole comes from the depiction of crests of Tlingit clans from both moieties Eagle and Raven, which normally would not be shown together on the same carving.
21. Empty Chair Memorial, Peter Reiquam, 2014, bronze sculpture, N. Franklin & 5th St.
◦ Honoring Juneau’s Japanese community unjustly incarcerated during World War II 1941-1945. The class of 1943 valedictorian, John Tanaka, was interned shortly before graduation – hence the empty chair at the ceremony. The high school at the time was in the adjacent Terry Miller building.
22. Jane Stokes Studio, Open by appt. only, (907) 209-7376, 418 Harris St., Room 404
◦ Jane Stokes lives in Juneau. She enjoys interpreting the beauty that surrounds us in watercolor and pen and ink.
23. The Family, Tlingit artist Michael L. Beasley, 1996, totem, Seward & 6th St.
◦ Carved by local Tlingit artist Michael L. Beasley in 1996. Figures represent members of a family.
24. Governor’s House, architect James Knox Taylor, 1912, 716 Calhoun St.
◦ The governor’s office moved from Sitka to Juneau in 1906 when Juneau became the capital of Alaska. The governor lived in a rented dwelling until the mansion was built in 1912. $40,000 was appropriated by the U.S. Congress to construct the original residence which contained 2½ floors and 12,900 feet of floor space. The New England Colonial-style house was remodeled to 3 floors in 1967 and again in 1983. It is in the National registry of Historical Places.
25. The Governor’s Totem, Tlingit carvers Charlie Tagook and William Brown, 1939-40, totem, 716 Calhoun St.
◦ Carved by artists Charlie Tagook and William Brown of Klukwan and Saxman in 1939-40. Figures from top down: Raven and Grandfather Raven, man, Guteel (a giant cannibal), a mosquito, and the world resting on the head of “the old woman underneath.” These figures tell the Tlingit story of the creation of the stars, sunlight, and the tides, and how the earth became populated with land animals, sea mammals and mosquitoes.
26. Gajaa Hit, 250 Gordon St.
a. Eagle Totem, Raven Totem, and House Screen, Tlingit artists Joe and TJ Young with guidance from Master Carver Nathan Jackson and Ed Kuntz. The apprentices included Josh Yates, Jerrod Galanin and Tai’-Rel Osh Lang-Edenshaw, 2014, facing Village St.
▪ The Eagle and Raven totem poles were carved to honor the Tlingit Auk Kwáan clans and long term residents of Indian Village in Juneau. The Auk Kwáan and village residents appointed village residents to serve as proxy carvers representing the Raven and Eagle clans. Carvers Joe and TJ Young made the poles with Master Carver Nathan Jackson and Ed Kuntz providing advice on the designs. The apprentices included Josh Yates, Jerrod Galanin and Tai’-Rel Osh Lang-Edenshaw.
▪ The original 26-foot poles were carved and painted by Tommy Jimmie, Sr., Edward Kunz, Sr., Edward Kunz, Jr., and William Smith in 1977 to honor the Raven and Eagle Clans of the Auk Kwáan. The Raven pole is a copy of a totem from Wrangell carved by William Ukas in 1896. The original screen was designed by Tommy Jimmie, Sr., and painted by Ed Kunz, Sr., and Ed Kunz, Jr. The old poles and screen are being kept in storage. This project was funded by grants from the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), Our Town program; the Rasmuson Foundation, the Juneau Arts and Humanities Council and the Juneau Community Foundation. Owned by Tlingit-Haida Regional Housing Authority, Gajaa hit (I wish for a safe place to land) has apartments upstairs for Native families in transition.
27. State Office Building, entrances at the corner of W 4th St. and at 333 Willoughby Ave. (Public Restrooms available weekdays 9am – 5pm)
a. Wasgo Totem or Old Witch Totem, Haida carver Dwight Wallace, 1880, totem, Main Lobby 8th floor
▪ The Haida totem pole originally stood in the village of Sukkwan near the southern end of the Alaska “panhandle.” Carved by Dwight Wallace, c. 1880, for the Quit’aas clan, it was mounted in front of their cedar plank house. Dr. Robert Simpson purchased the pole and displayed it in front of The Nugget Shop, a famous Juneau curio store. The top two figures represent a Haida man atop a bullhead, from a traditional Haida story. The remaining figures relate to another story about a young man with special powers obtained from a supernatural water creature “Qaasgo” depicted on the pole in human form lifting two whales.
b. Kimball Organ, Atrium, 8th floor
▪ The State Office Building Kimball was originally installed in 1928 in Juneau’s Coliseum Theatre. It was later moved to the 20th Century Theatre in 1939-1940. The instrument was moved to its present location in 1976-77 by Balcom & Vaughan. Don Myers, Bill Bunch and the late Frank Butte did the installation. An opening program was given in May 1977. The organ is still used frequently. In the Summer of 2000, J. Allan MacKinnon and several guest artists presented a series of Friday noontime concerts featuring classical and popular music. Occasionally other organists and visiting musicians from the cruise lines provide music on a short notice basis.
28. Nimbus, Robert Murray, 1977, sculpture, Father Andrew P. Kashevaroff State Library Archives and Museum Building, Willoughby Ave.
◦ Sculpted by Robert Murray in 1978, this 16 foot-high, core-10 steel structure was commissioned for the Dimond Courthouse across from the Capitol. The sculpture’s shape, size and color (which Murray named “Juneau Green”) sparked so much controversy that the Alaska State Legislature ordered its removal in 1984. In 1991, the Alaska State Museum accessioned and installed Nimbus in front of the Museum.
29. Juneau Arts & Culture Center (JACC), various local and regional artists, Open daily 9am-6pm, (907) 586-2787, 350 Whittier Ave. (Public Restrooms available daily 9am – 6pm)
◦ Home to the Juneau Arts & Humanities Council, a local non-profit. The facility offers a location for artists to show work in the gallery, sell work in the lobby shop, and rent the space to offer a variety of workshops and performances. The Arts Council has a variety of “Artists at Work” periodically throughout the summer, Gallery Receptions every First Friday, Food Truck Fridays and Rock Around the Block Dances every Friday from June-September.
▪ – Notable glass etching design on the downtown bus station by Dan DeRoux, 47 Egan Drive –
30. Raven Discovering Mankind in a Clam Shell, Bill Ray Jr., 1988, mural, City Municipal Bldg. facing Marine Park (Public Restrooms available daily 9am – 5pm)
◦ Painted by local artist Bill Ray Jr., 1988. This wall mural is based on the Haida legend of the creation of mankind.
31. Visitor’s Information Center/Mount Roberts Tram, 490 S Franklin St
a. Light Play, Arnie Weimer, 2012, mural
▪ Completed over the winter of 2012 as an acrylic painting on Masonite. The painting was inspired by the artist’s experience as a commercial fisherman in Alaska. The man depicted in the work is a local Native, and the lighthouse is also the Sentinel Island lighthouse. This mural is funded by the 1% for the arts program.
b. Jardin de la Mer, Lisa Rickey, 2012, paint on stainless steel sculpture
▪ This welded metal sculpture of bull kelp and sea urchins titled Jardin de la Mer translates to “Garden of the Sea,” and is funded by the 1% for the arts program.
c. Raven and Tl’anax’eet’ák’w (Wealth Bringer), Tlingit carver Stephen Jackson, totem, Inside Mt. Roberts Tram
▪ Carved by Tlingit carver Stephen Jackson of Ketchikan. His father is Master Carver Nathan Jackson. This pole was carved on site when the artist was in his 20s. The story relates to Raven, and honors the People of the Goldbelt region. It is also a story of the evolution of the kwáan and as such the artist can occasionally be found adding details to this piece when he is in town.
32. Glass Awnings, Wayne Price, 2014, glass formline design, AJ Dock
◦ Haines-based Tlingit master carver and artist Wayne Price created public art that hangs overhead and interacts with natural sunlight to project the design on the walkway below. It’s viewable now at the Franklin Street Dock. Funded by the 1% for the arts program.