Artists In Schools Program

The Artist in the Schools Program (AIS) provides residencies in the visual and performing arts in the Juneau School District throughout the school year. The AIS program in Alaska is funded by the National Endowment for the Arts, the Alaska State Council on the Arts, and the Rasmuson Foundation.

The Juneau Arts and Humanities Council (Arts Council) manages the Juneau School District's Artists in the Schools Program. Art Education Director is the coordinator at the Arts Council. Each year interested schools submit a "mini-grant" application to the Council. Once accepted, the Arts Council organizes the overall district residency schedule for the year and serves as the main contact for teaching artists and school arts teams. Publicity for residencies and artists workshops are promoted by the Arts Council.

School Arts Teams & Teaching Artists

Each school has a designated Arts Team who volunteer to help coordinate the AIS residencies, along with acting as the main contact for arts education events and opportunities.

Each teaching artist selected for participation in the AIS program is paid $1000 per week. (35 hour work week; a minimum of 20 hours/week must be in direct instruction with students). The AIS grant funds 55% of the teaching artist stipend, and the school funds the other 45% of the artist stipend plus any travel expenses, should the artist come from outside Juneau. The school is also responsible to pay for supplies and materials.

Schools communicate with the selected teaching artist to coordinate schedules and determine the scope and depth of the project. Schools choose artists from the Juneau Teaching Artist Roster. If a school would like to arrange a residency with someone who is not already on the Roster, the artist needs to apply to be placed on the roster prior to the residency. Artists may apply by contacting  the Arts Education Director.

Each teaching artist is required to present a professional development workshop, typically open to all teachers in the district. Ted Wilson disseminates the information to all teachers via the district website. The Arts Council disseminates information beyond the district, to local media and local artists.




Artists In Schools Residency Timeline 2021-2022- (TBA)

Fall Application Period is typically in August and September. 

Stay tuned!

Toolkit for Schools:

Toolkit for Artists:

Other resources:


Alaska State Council on the Arts requires that promotion of all residencies and workshops include the following: "The Artist In The Schools Program is made possible through partnership between the Alaska State Council on the Arts and the National Endowment for the Arts, with additional support from the Arts Council, the Rasmuson Foundation and __________(put in your matching fund source, ie: Parent and Teacher Association, etc.)"




Other Arts Opportunities for Students

Other School Funding Opportunities

The following are Rasmuson Foundation Cultural Collaborations Grants, administered by the Alaska State Council on the Arts. Click here to visit their website for more information about these opportunities:

  • Access Grant - application due 30 days prior to start of event. This grant funds short-term arts/cultural activities for grades K-12 during the regular school day. Grant amounts up to $1,000.
  • Excursion Grant - application due 30 days prior to start of event. This grant funds transportation and admission costs for K-12 students to an arts or cultural event. Title I schools may apply for up to $1,000; non-Title I schools may apply up to $600. One grant per school, per school year; may include multiple excursions.
  • Project Grant - application due Dec 1 and Jun 1. This grant funds arts/cultural activities held before or after the school day or during school vacations for periods longer than 2 weeks. Any nonprofit organization or school is eligible to apply. All grants must provide a 1:1 match of up to $6,000.
  • Art Educator Fellowships -  application due March 15. This grant funds teachers, whose teaching responsibilities are arts-related, for participation in professional development activities in their art form.

Main Contacts

  • Qacung Blanchett: Arts Education Director, Juneau Arts & Humanities Council
  • Laura Forbes: Alaska State Council on the Arts, Arts Education Program Director
  • Ted Wilson: Director of Teaching and Learning, Juneau School District




All Rights Reserved by the Juneau Arts & Humanities Council