How to Promote and Market Your Event
Designed by Kari Groven
Updated by Meredith Bless Aug 2016
A list of things you can do to promote events in Juneau.
- Collect publicity collateral (flyers, poster, artwork, photos, and program info) from the artist or agent. High resolution images are necessary for all printed publicity including newspaper articles and ads, posters and post cards.
- Make sure you have permission from Photographer/ Artist/ Agent to use photos.
Four Weeks Prior
- Write and record ads for KTOO and ABC Stations. KTOO can have their announcers read a written announcement, or, for a small fee, record a 29-second announcement (this is called an Enhanced Public service Announcement.). If it’s a musical event, make sure KTOO gets a CD to play on the air. They can also feature some artists/musicians on other music shows. ABC Stations offers non-profit rates, plus matches all ads placed.
- Schedule your event to be on KINY Radio’s “Capital Chat” by contacting Sharon Gaiptman.
- Design and print posters, create a Facebook Ad, and a Facebook banner for your Event Page.
- Contact the Arts Council about using their Ticketing System, or design and print your own.
- If you are doing it yourself: Deliver tickets and outlet agreements to bookstores
- Set ad schedule with the Juneau Empire, Capital City Weekly, and on Facebook.
Two – Three Weeks Prior
- Hang posters: Note the Arts Council offers a postering service for $35: Postering Service Link. Doing it yourself? Here’s the Poster Route.
Send press releases to (updated May 2016):
- The Arts Council
In the Press Release, make sure you open with the essential information:
- Information Release date,
- Presenter’s name and contact info,
- Who, What, When, Where & Why.
Embellish a little more in the next paragraph and ad any extra information at the end. Include link to website with press quotes and photos at the end or in the ‘For more information’ section.
- Send high resolution photos, CDs, video clips, audio etc to firstname.lastname@example.org (10-20 days prior) & email@example.com (2-3 weeks prior)
- Set up an interview with KTOO’s A Juneau Afternoon (Three weeks out)
- Ads on Facebook and in the Juneau Empire and CCW should begin running (Two weeks out)
- Insert brief description of events online on ktoo.org calendar and jahc.org
- kinyradio.com PSA form
- Capital City Weekly
- Check the Community Calendar to be sure your event is listed. If you are a non-profit organization, please note that when you purchase ads in JE or CCW you lose the free status with ABC Stations.
- Design, print and mail postcards with event info to mailing list.
- Write and design event program.
Week of Event
- Have programs printed
- Check outlet for ticket sales. If sold out, ask your advertising contacts to put “sold out” on your paper ads, and inform radio presenters in a PSA.