Juneau Arts & Humanities Council Announces 2021 Wearable Art Extravaganza “Intergalactic” Festival Events and Schedule
Wearable Art:“Intergalactic” blasts off on Saturday, May 1 traveling at the speed of light throughout the known universe until May 23, with mostly virtual and some in-person events, unlike any Wearable Art in the past. Individual tickets and special ticket packages are now available for active Arts Council members and will go on sale to the general public on April 19.
Wearable Art Festival Event Schedule:
- May 1: Events begin at 10 am at the 1st Annual Families Spring Into Art event at Overstreet Park (The Whale Sculpture) and opening of online registration for the Wearable Art event platform and launch of the Ground Control Scavenger Hunt, which goes through May 22. Participants will discover treasures all around town: in businesses, parks, museums, as well as virtually in the event platform.
- May 10: The Online Auction opens to Intergalactic Package Holders.
- May 14 & 15: Wearable Art Extravaganza “Intergalactic” Livestream at 7:30 pm on Friday; 4:00 pm & 8:00 pm on Saturday; with MCs First Officer Ericka Lee and Lieutenant Commander Richard Carter setting a course through strange worlds of amazing creations. Filmed by Alaska in Motion and broadcasted by KTOO through the Wearable Art online event platform. Enjoy it from your personal Bridge homescreen.
- May 18 & 20: Out of This World Quest Trivia Nights at 7:30 pm in the event platform. Get your space posse or fly solo to face the Space Trivia challenges posed by Chief Trivia Officer Carl Brodersen. Split the pot prizes.
- May 21 & 22: The Living Gallery at Centennial Hall, scheduled in ½ hour time slots from 6-8:30pm on Friday and 3-6:00 pm on Saturday, is your opportunity to see the Wearable Art pieces in person in a carefully Covid-safe environment. Very limited capacity: tickets will be available to package holders first.
- May 22: Intergalactic, The Drive-In Movie, 10:00 pm at Gold Town Drive-In (corner of Egan and Whittier). See an encore recording of the show on a big screen from your personal space bubble craft (car).
- May 23: Winner’s Ring, 3 pm livestream in the event platform. Winners of the raffles (Alaska Airlines Ticket Raffle & the GGress “Down to Earth” handcrafted guitar), Sybil Davis Art Award (formerly People’s Choice), Ground Control Scavenger Hunt, Online Auction, and the theme for Wearable Art 2022 are announced.
- TBD: Curated Conversations, in the event platform. Tune in for discussions and a closer look at wearable art, fashion, costume, and traditional Chilkat and Ravenstail weaving.
Collaborating with local businesses, the Arts Council created special ticket packages that offer varied treats and perks:
- Dinner & a Show: Auke Bay Café, Island Pub, Red Spruce, and TK Maguire’s are cooking up Intergalactic Specials you can order with your Livestream tickets and pick up before the show – make a night of it!
- Gemini Twins Pack for two, includes the Livestream, a snack board from V’s Cellar Door, two drink coupons, and two tickets to the Living Gallery.
- Meteor Shower for one, includes the Livestream, features chocolates from Sweet Song Chocolates, a drink coupon, and a ticket to the Living Gallery.
- Big Dipper Family Matinee includes the Saturday afternoon Livestream, popcorn from Alaskan Fudge Company, and chocolates for four.
- Percy Party Pack Matinee includes the Saturday afternoon Livestream, a drink coupon, and bag of treats.
Several of the local breweries will be offering special libations throughout the week.
The Wearable Art Extravaganza is the primary fundraising event for the Arts Council’s Fine Arts Scholarships and Individual Artist Grants each year, and relies on the generosity, creativity, and enthusiasm of our community for its success. It is sponsored by Alaska Airlines and KTOO with additional support from local businesses (call 586-2787 for more information on becoming a sponsor).
You are invited to donate to the auction, bid high and frequently in the auction, to buy raffle tickets, and to enjoy this whole new version of Wearable Art.
For more information about Wearable Art, to buy tickets, and to register for the events, visit www.jahc.org/wearable-art/.
This year, all new, all different, and we all boldly go forward together.